This post was written by Megan of Two Delighted, contributor for Brooklyn Limestone.
Hello friends! It’s Colleen again and I’m here with a DIY for the cat lovers. We adopted the sweetest kitten this winter and we love everything about him, except the fact that our litter box quota has increased exponentially from one (for our older cat) to four (to make sure the kitten doesn’t urinate all over the house). Litter boxes are unattractive and smelly. It is just a fact. The one we have downstairs has been offending my eyeballs for months and I finally decided that I would make an attractive litter box holder to remedy the problem. I was originally going to buy a cheap furniture item from Ikea but then my husband and I stumbled upon the perfect open table/cabinet thing at Restore and I felt like I won the lottery. With some paint and a couple of cat necessities, it has now become a lovely side table as well as a place to hide the litter box.
What You’ll Need:
- Cabinet or chest that you don’t mind messing up. If you can’t find anything used, Ikea has some cabinets that would work.
- Paint - I used white oil based paint to make the white portion of the furniture nice and glossy but you can use whatever you want.
- Litter box that will fit inside of your cabinet - make sure the kitties have enough room for their little heads.
- Plastic litter box mat
- Plastic drop cloth
What You’ll Do:
- Paint the table with whichever paint you choose. Or don’t paint it. Completely up to you.
- Remove any hardware that will be getting in the way on the inside of the cabinet. I was lucky and was able to just take off the doors to have a hole for the cats to enter, but you might need to cut and sand a hole if your furniture doesn’t have doors. Place the mat at the bottom of the cabinet and line the inside of the cabinet with plastic drop cloth (securing either with staples or nails at the very top) so it is soft for their paws. Once we put the litter box in, it took the cats a little while to start using it. After a couple of days, I’m happy to report that both cats have seemed to like their new litter box. Yay for small victories.